Monday, March 8, 2010

The Big Purchase: Considering Buying a Home

So, I've been looking at purchasing a home this year. I've been saving for 5 years and recently I hired a financial planner to review my financial status and make the recommendation if I'm in a position to buy. Since this will be my first time home purchase, I thought I'd post ideas, tips and notes that I've found to be helpful as I search.

To start off, I've used the U.S. Deparment of Housing and Urban Development as a primary, non-biased source of information for this purchase. They have a great list of where to start when looking at buying a home. Click here to get the list and many other helpful ideas for first-time home buyers. Good luck to all you first-time home buyers out there and check back in for more tips and ideas!

2 comments:

TSP said...

How did you decide which professional financial planner to hire?

Mary Bell said...

I know this one personally after working with him from the Financial planning association for several years. But there are some good resources out there. You can go to www.plannersearch.org. I also highly recommend this brochure http://www.nasaa.org/investor_education/financial_education_resources/5583.cfm which will tell you what the differences are between an advisor and a broker dealer. Good luck! And interview several before making your decision.

The Millennial Financial Coach Team

My photo
www.linkedin.com/in/marymbell