Monday, September 21, 2009

My Stolen MacBook

So it happened....the unthinkable! I had my new MacBook stolen while traveling to Pittsburgh over the weekend. After the initial shock of realizing it's gone, this morning I've started to do all the paperwork: the police report, starting the renter's insurance case, changing all of my passwords, etc. etc. The hardest part is the feeling of violation that comes with having your personal property stolen, but as the saying goes, "if it's a problem that can be fixed with money, it's not a problem". So all in all, I've learned several great lessons on keeping a close on your property at all times (my laptop was taken at church); the importance of having a renters (or homeowner's) insurance policy that adequately covers your personal belongings; and keeping it in perspective. I will be closely monitoring my personal financial information because even worse than my laptop being stolen is the personal information that can be taken. Thanks to John Sileo and the other FTC resources, I feel adequately prepared to know what to do when things like this happen. To learn more about identity theft, go to www.sileo.com or www.ftc.gov (click on identity theft).

No comments:

The Millennial Financial Coach Team

My photo
www.linkedin.com/in/marymbell